Monday, April 6, 2009

And I Said I Wouldn’t

We recently got a pair of chickens from our friend Rob who was movin’ on up – actually from suburbia to a darling garden apartment downtown. His two hens needed a home and Mr. C jumped at the chance. He’d raised chickens as a youngster and I knew he secretly wished to tend a flock again. He happily worked to convert the girls’ old jungle gym to a deluxe chicken condo. The fresh eggs each day are great, and the chickens are fun to watch. I resisted naming them at first, figuring I wouldn’t get attached that way. Then the perfect names came to me: Henrietta (get it? HENrietta?) for the little one, and Marietta for the big chicken…and if you’ve ever been to Marietta, Georgia you know why that’s so darned clever.

DSC01196Henrietta and Marietta sharing a dish of yogurt (good for the shell, you know)
DSC01194 The payoff

2 comments:

Leandra said...

Ooh! I'm so jealous! We've been thinking of getting some chickens, but have decided to put it off for a while. LOVE the names!

Lintuck said...

I'm so glad you're back! I missed you.