Thursday, July 24, 2008

The New Reality

So, I'll admit it...I watch a lot of reality TV. I follow a handful of shows based on competition where the outcomes involve some skill. I love The Amazing Race, the show that takes the viewer along on a fast-paced trip around the world as contestants struggle with fatigue, travel mishaps and challenges to win a million dollars. My whole family is riveted to every episode.

I also like for similar reasons Top Chef, Project Runway, American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance and Dancing with the Stars. I personally do not consider them to be true "reality shows," where people are thrown together in sketchy situations and expected to act like asses for the camera.

On Dancing With The Stars, it's fascinating to watch celebrities transform into lean, skillful dancers. Their teachers are the current stars of ballroom, who have never received this kind of exposure for their talent. Not surprisingly, among the best of the celebrity contestants are professional athletes. They are coachable and have the physicality and competitive drive to excel at this new "sport" and win. But it has taken me by surprise that among the athletes who are lightest on their feet are big ol' football players - Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice and Jason Taylor.

I read in the paper this week where Miami traded Jason Taylor -the six-time Pro Bowl defensive end and 2006 NFL Defensive Player of the Year Jason Taylor - to the Washington Redskins because "management and players objected when he wasn't around for team workouts during the off season due to his Dancing with the Stars commitment." Pulleeeze! !

For those not in the know, Jason nearly won Dancing With The Stars last season. His partner was Edyta Sliwinska, the gorgeous professional ballroom dancer who's famous for wearing costumes that leave very little to the imagination. After 12 weeks of daily ballroom training, I would venture to say that Jason got his workouts. But he also got to spend the off season in LA dancing with Edyta - so I think it's more accurate to say that the Dolphins' management and players just had a bad case of being jealous and pissed off.

Footnote: I strongly object to last season's casting choice of figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi. Sure, she's an athlete, but in a sport that requires years of training in.....dancing! Hellooo! Of course, she and her partner won - but it wasn't a fair fight.

1 comment:

Diane Willard Kaufman said...

I totally agree about Kristi!!! That was NOT FAIR!!! Can't wait for this fall's dancing with the stars!!!!